- Pete Mackanin as manager – The guys like Pete and he is smart baseball man; I think he will do as well as can be expected with a team full of average players.
- Micky Morandini as the new first base coach – A welcome blast from the past.
- The end of the Domonic Brown experiment – I was really at the end of my rope with this guy. Sorry, he will not be missed.
- Ken Giles – Seriously, Giles was the ONLY reason I though watching the 2016 would be bearable, and now he is gone. Who else am I supposed to root for (maybe Aaron Nola)? And this is a clear sign the Phillies are still many years away from competing.
- No more Jeff Francour? WTH? It is not official, but with the addition of so many new outfielders, one can surmise that Frenchy will not be back. He was the only other entertaining guy on this roster…boo!!
- We are still stuck with Ryan Howard’s salary – I don’t mind Howard himself, I just wish the Phillies didn’t still owe him like a bazillion dollars.
Not Sure Yet
- New GM Matt Klentak – I thought this was a good idea until the Giles trade, which reeks of a move Ruben Amaro Jr. would have made. Is this younger, hipper guy just Ruben 2.0 in disguise? That may be a bit harsh; we shall see.
- New President Andy MacPhail – I hesitate to be excited about this because of the above mentioned issue with Klentak. But also, frankly, because the guy’s name includes the word “PHAIL (fail).” Not to mention that MacPhail has not seen any major success since the Twins won the World Series in 1987 and 1991.
- Everyone picked up in the Ken Giles trade – these do not appear to be impact players and could be a waste of time.
- Adding Peter Bourjos (wait, who?) – Outfielder Bourjos hit .241 in two seasons in the majors.
- The signing of 32-year old righty Charlie Morton – meh.
“LIKE” us on Facebook for more updates & photos!
Photo by Jenn Zambri
Is it just me, or is everyone glad 2015 is over? This was a rough year for Phillies fans, and unfortunately, 2016 does not look much more promising. But perhaps making a few New Year’s Resolutions will help set the tone in a more positive direction. These are my own personal resolutions, but they are open to all Phillies fans who wish to join me!
- I promise not to cry every time I look over at second base and realize Chase Utley is not there….ok, maybe I will cry just a few times.
- No matter how hard someone pushes me, I will not take performance enhancing drugs to improve my Phillies baseball viewing experience in what looks to be another bad year. Unless Valium counts, because I will need that to suppress my Utley crying episodes.
- I will learn the names of all the new players…unless they suck. Then I make no promises.
- I will attempt to keep my complaints about the new, extended protective netting at the ballpark to a minimum. I mean, WHY can’t people just pay attention to the game? Why do I have to suffer with my pictures being blocked by this annoying webbed crap? Ok, I think I broke that resolution already…
- I will try not to make ageist remarks about the new GM, Matt Klentak. Is this guy even out of diapers yet? Oh, sorry…do-over: At least he is old enough to drink; he will be very thankful for that this year.
- I will throw a party every time ex-Phillie Jonathan Papelbon gets into a fight with one of his new Nationals teammates (or whatever team he gets traded to next). There will be open bar if the brawl involves Bryce Harper. This is going to be a super-fun year!!
Happy New Year, everyone!