This has certainly been an interesting week for the Phillies. Let us review the many weird happenings:
– First, manager Charlie Manual got the axe last Friday and Ryne Sandberg took over.
– People cried, complained and gave Charlie lots of hugs.
– Manual admitted to CSN Philly’s Leslie Gudel that he knew he could not win this year or last year with the team assembled as it was. Shocker. Not really…
– On Monday, David Murphy of Philly.com posted an article about how the front office was to blame for the Phillies failures. Also not a shocker…
– The Phillies Triple-A Iron Pigs gave away a free funeral valued at $10,000 as part of a promotion. Seriously.
– After 2 losses, Sandberg got his first win as manager on Sunday.
– Sandberg got that win, despite starting Michael Martinez at short stop. Martinez was boo’ed throughout the game, I assume because starting him or just the fact that he is on this team at all, is emblematic of a very troubled 2013 Phillies season.
– On Tuesday, Roy Halladay made a rehab start in Lakewood. He appear to be near-MLB ready.
– After Tuesday’s game, Roy Halladay spoke out on the firing of Manual.
In his comments, he added that he thought things were being “overlooked” and said, “I mean guys being at places on time, being on the field on time, taking ground balls and taking extra bp and all those little thing that nobody thinks make a difference.”
As those word emanated from Roy’s mouth, the Phillies experienced something like a meteor/asteroid shower as their happy little universe slowly imploded. All Halladay really said was what we have all been thinking/wondering about for years. This team lacks discipline and focus.
But the media took those comments to a whole new level, posting headlines that seemed to indicate that Halladay endorsed Manual’s firing, to which he took great offense.
– Also on Tuesday, the Phillies hosted their 6th annual Jewish Heritage Celebration. I think we can all agree that releasing Delmon Young prior to this event was a good idea. Because, man, that would have been AWKWARD.
– On Wednesday, Halladay “clarified” his comments and reiterated his love for Charlie, saying he did not endorse anyone being fired.
– Also on Wednesday, the Phillies took out the Washington Nationals’s trash by signing Roger Bernadina, who was cut by the Nats on Monday. Bernadina is hitting .176 this season and has not had a hit in over a month. He will fit right in.
– On Thursday, Philly.com reported on the secret pornography stash at Veteran’s Stadium, presumably, because they had nothing better to report on.
And yes, all of that and more happened in just under a week. Is this a great time to be a bored Phillies fan, or what?
Maybe don’t answer that question. Please feel free to go on with your life as originally planned. Thank you!
“LIKE” us on Facebook for more updates & photos!
Photo by Jenn Zambri Photography