Cole Hamels was walking a very tight rope tonight against the division rival Braves. Both team battled and runs would be hard to come by. Luckily, the runs were more difficult for the Braves.
Hamels pitched 8 amazing innings, shutting down Braves hitters. He struck out 6, walked 1 and allowed only 1 run all night. But there were many highlights in this game. Here are just a few:
– Cole Hamels! Duh.
– A key 2-out RBI double from Carlos Ruiz in the 2nd inning.
– 3 double plays turned with the help of Wilson Valdez’s cannon of an arm and Chase Utley’s acrobatics.
– RBI’s by Placido Polanco and Raul Ibanez.
– Another idiot ran onto the field during the game; but instead of the taser gun, the Phils used their secret weapon, Braves left fielder, Matt Diaz. Using his super-bionic foot, Diaz tripped up the moron and security teams swept in to collect the stunned fan. Take that, taser gun! You have been foiled by Matt Diaz ;o)
– A super SAVE by Brad Lidge and a 3-1 win!
– The Phillies are now FOUR games ahead of the Braves in the NL East!
Not only are the Phils up by four games, they have decreased their magic number to 8! With Roy 2.0, Roy Halladay and Roy Oswalt, set to pitch the next two games, things look good for the Phillies. Game time tomorrow is 7:05pm….Go Phillies!
Hamels photo by Jenn Zambri Photography